Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Even I get it wrong sometimes..

Okay confession time. Time for me to fess up to a recent Balls up I did which resulted in this here pc Im typing on, being left in a state of non-bootable ness..
Here's the story, Im love Win 98se (I know it's old hat now but It works, does all that I need it to do, and I can protect it way easier than XP). I decided to go install XP so I thought I'll duel boot the thing with 98 (defaulting to boot 98 if no key is pressed). I decided last night that hmm I can upgrade to XP from 98 as it's got a wizard and stuff to do it for me, so why not "copy" my current windows setup to the same space as I have XP on - wiping out XP 1st, and then remove XP's boot loader type thing. I did all that, removed the bootloader files (oh silly me!), used my trusty (or so I thought) Win98se Bootdisk that should boot me nicely into a Command Prompt to let me type the 2 commands I knew I needed to do... Only for it to say "Error unable to read file MODE.com page not prepared" etc.. darn Disk Corruption! which left me with a problem as it couldn't actually read and unpack files it needed to the Ram Drive it had created so I couldn't type the following commands:
FDISK /MBR <- this fixes the Master Boot Record to be marked as 98se bootable
SYS C: <- to copy over the Windows 98se system files and make it bootable once more..
Didn't have the time to mess around with attempting to make a boot disk on the 2 other PC's I have that run 98 as well erm they are linked via a Keyboard/Video/Mouse Switch that does it's job but can be a bit of a pain - Me thinks me didn't follow instructions right (Typical!) so I machine been offline all day and has done no work for my Team (Free-DC) and no work in the project this machine does (D2oL - Drug Optomization Lab), Argh there goes a 1/3 of my daily output... Not Much really is it.. But a few units here and there, I will remember next time.. Now just to get Win XP to "upgrade" my 2nd "Install" of windows I hope it works else Im gonna be pissy with it.

No comments: