Friday, April 29, 2005

What Browser do you Use?

Hmm I was thinking it is really important now as to what browser you use as some websites still "favour" one particular browser or another browser...
I personally use Firefox, IE 6 (Upgraded from 5), Netscape 7.x, Opera 6..
Why all these different browsers well I want to know what my home site looks like in the various browsers, seeing how it looks in each after i've done small changes to the html/javascript/css code.. Sometimes it work sometimes it don't..
FYI - Opera is the most pain in the ass to get "non simple" stuff to work in..
Personally since Firefox came out I've used it pretty much exclusivly to browse sites, however I've come across one or 2 that differ from how they look in IE / NS and one that didn't work until I installed one or 2 Extensions to FireFox ;) (IMHO Firefox Rocks)..

How easy is it to get firefox: Get it here: http://www.getfirefox.com/
The extensions (checkable via Tools > extension) I have "installed" are:

  • Adblock - Does what it says blocks page ads, you need to play around with this as it doesn't come with any rule book, you create the rules as you surf, you can choose to block or not.

  • Chatzilla - A nice IRC chat client has it's uses

  • Download Manager Tweak - Tweak to the download manager that lets you show what's been downloaded in a sepertate tab / windows - most useful

  • Foxy Tunes - Lets you have Firefox and your favourite music player open, with the player minimized out of sight, this gives you control over it (supports a large varity of players

  • PDF Download - Only just found this one, useful if you want to save a pdf document rather than view it in your browser..

  • BlogThis - Also just got this and not tried it, but it apperent it link stuff back to your blog..

  • MediaPlayerConnectivity - autodectects (or you can manually set what it does) where quicktime / real player / media player / you favourite mp3 player is installed and then (once you've select its behaviour) automatically plays / smart play (which I use) /gives you a choice of what link to play / etc..

  • Play Launch - Gets past a "bug" of Launch.com which requires you to use IE or Netscape 7 and you neeed to have the latest media player installed as well - not with this plugin ya don't - just need to set it up for your connection speed and how you want it to launch itself and away you go on launch.com


Firefox is nice, can be skinned (unlike IE) - i.e. you can change the look of it just like you can with Netscape and Opera (what is it with MS and not being able to change the look of stuff)
It supports the standard plugins - if you don't got them it tells you and offers you links to get 'em which is sweet - integrated updates which is useful:) - also stable it's been used in Linux for ages - well the Mozilla Browser it's based on has anyway :) - instead of having 10 windows you can have 10 tabs - a definate Plus

Okay I think that about says it all for firefox... I can't recommend it enough, someone one day recommended it to me and I eventually got it to see what all the fuss was about and haven't looked back since - only on a few sites do I still use IE but only because they are in my IE favourites (which you can import into firefox if you wish)

Addendum: Erm I didn't include Safari as I don't have a mac and it appears to be a mac OS only browser...

3 comments:

Moogie said...

I use Mozilla. I also have IE, but rarely use it on my home machine. Thanks for the write up.

Sharon said...

Foxy Tunes? I love it. I have to check that out.
...how?

I am not very computer literate...but I love Firefox...there's no going back now.

Anonymous said...

You forgot Safari. Plenty of MAC users out there.